The time has come to transition to the Global Methodist Church. It’s true that we should have never had to go through this, however our world is broken and modern culture is teaching that life and everything in it is more about ourselves than anything or anyone else. As we well know, that’s quite different than Jesus’ teachings.
I believe we also have to look at all of this from another angle. God has allowed us as a church to go through this change. And when God allows something, He has a purpose. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
God hands have been quite evident in this entire trial. Just a few ways are:
- Our church was very unified throughout the discernment and voting processes. Great discussions were had. A lot of prayer from everyone went into the discernment of this big decision, and every time we came together, we were again affirmed of the path we knew God was calling us to take.
- We were on course to pay off the previous mortgage in the fall of 2023. This was already 10 years earlier than expected. I believe God knew full well what we would be faced with in 2023 and new what we would need many years before. Then due to a generous donor, the remaining amount of the old loan, $5,400 was paid off in March of 2023—just in time to take out the next loan.
- The bank loan for $74,000 came easy and at a great interest rate in a market that’s been tough. Then on top of that, another generous donor gave $20,000 toward the new loan, now making our needed loan $54,000.
- We had extra funds given at the end of 2022 that assisted in paying for the property and causality insurance, pastor’s health insurance and pension funds through June 2023, that were due by March 31, 2023. Again, God knew what we would need.
- An expense that will costs us more through the GMC (the pastor’s health insurance) will balance out due to the significantly decreased costs for the new property and causality insurance and Shares of Ministry (called Connectional Funds in the GMC) starting July 1st. Again, God knows what we need.
- At the Susquehanna Conference of the United Methodist Church on May 17th at the special session for the disaffiliation votes, grace and respect was given from the Bishops and churches. The voting process went extremely smooth allowing 141 churches to disaffiliate. This was not the expectation of many.
God’s hands were certainly in this entire process. No, it has not always been easy. And yes, there have been moments of concern, but with trust and faith in our God, we have made it to the finish line. The settlement from the UMC will be the last step held at the end of June. Meanwhile, you will begin to see the logo and name change throughout the church and communication lines.
I personally want to thank all of you for your dedication in prayer, in helping through those required steps to disaffiliate, and for most importantly, taking the step of faith toward God’s will for this church. When we honor God, He will honor us. Praise be to God for all of this! Yes, even the hard parts, especially the hard parts as we have been shown over and over again God’s guidance and grace, and together built up our faith and became an even more unified church. I’m excited to see what God is going to do in this new season, and I hope you are too. I fully believe it’s going to be amazing!
We will celebrate God’s goodness on July 30th at our church Celebration Sunday event. See page 9 for the details and be ready to worship, recommit or commit for the first time, fellowship and celebrate